Given that, unlike X11, we have some control over Mir’s design and
implementation, maybe this is something that we could consider adding?
Or is that out of place?

  Closing an application doesn’t actually close it, it merely requests
  all its windows to be closed

Status in qtmir package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in unity8 package in Ubuntu:

  Currently in unity8, when requesting to "Quit" a running application
  from the launcher, what happens is that qtmir goes through all its
  associated windows/surfaces, and closes them one by one. Supposedly,
  when the last window is closed, the application terminates itself (but
  this is not necessarily the case, see
  https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qguiapplication.html#quitOnLastWindowClosed-
  prop).

  This prevents application authors from doing proper cleanup before the
  app is closed. For example in Qt, the QCoreApplication::aboutToQuit()
  signal is emitted only after all windows have been closed, so the
  application doesn’t get a chance to e.g. save the list of open windows
  (real use case for multi-window browser application which saves the
  current session).

  This is similar to unity7’s implementation by the way, but I think
  it’s wrong. Surely there must be a way (maybe toolkit-specific) to
  request an app to terminate itself (and fall back to closing all
  windows if not).