Indeed on my fr-bépo keyboard layout Ctrl+= has the same effect as
Ctrl++ (zooming in incrementally) both in firefox and chromium, despite
the fact that "=" and "+" are two separate keys. Ctrl+_ doesn’t do
anything, but that’s probably because with this layout "_" is obtained
with AltGr+Space.

In chromium’s source code
(src/chrome/browser/ui/views/accelerator_table.cc), the following two
keyboard shortcuts are assigned to the "zooming in" action:

  { ui::VKEY_OEM_PLUS, ui::EF_CONTROL_DOWN, IDC_ZOOM_PLUS },
  { ui::VKEY_ADD, ui::EF_CONTROL_DOWN, IDC_ZOOM_PLUS },

and several other places in the code suggest that VKEY_OEM_PLUS is "=".
Similarly, VKEY_OEM_MINUS is "_".

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to webbrowser-app in Ubuntu.

  add additional shortcut support for zoom/unzoom in US keyboards

Status in webbrowser-app package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed

Bug description:
  On US keyboards, the "+" (plus) key is in shifted position, and the
  "-" (minus) is not. All the other browsers (chrome, chromium, firefox)
  support the following shortcuts for zoom/unzoom and we should do the
  same, so user does not have to press ctrl+shift as that is not
  expected.

  zoom in:
  ctrl+plus
  ctrl+equals