I'm having this issue - however unplugging the charging cable
immediately updates the correct percentage. I'm running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
and I've put in some Unity tweaks, but this shouldn't matter.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to upower in Ubuntu.

  After resume from suspend, power-indicator is unaware of battery
  changes

Status in indicator-power:
  Incomplete
Status in indicator-power package in Ubuntu:
  Incomplete
Status in upower package in Ubuntu:

  When resuming from suspend, power-indicator seems to be frozen.
  Remaining time is not updated, even if I (un)plug AC.

  Only way to restore normal operation without reboot is to start gnome-
  power-manager...  the indicator becomes responsive again.

  Probably related to https://bugs.launchpad.net/indicator-
  power/+bug/983928 and/or https://bugs.launchpad.net/indicator-
  power/+bug/994745