Can you guys please pop this job into ~/.config/upstart/ and go:

$ start msg-monitor

When you notice the problem again, please attach ~/.cache/upstart/msg-
monitor.log - make sure to strip it of any sensitive data (phone
numbers, message contents)

** Attachment added: "msg-monitor.conf"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ofono/+bug/1516696/+attachment/4745388/+files/msg-monitor.conf

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to telephony-service in

  SMS notifications are received only when the phone is unlocked

Status in Canonical System Image:
  Confirmed
Status in powerd:
  New
Status in Unity System Compositor:
  New
Status in indicator-messages package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in ofono package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in telephony-service package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in unity8 package in Ubuntu:

  WHAT HAPPENED:
  The phone stays quiet while locked but once the power button is pressed
(unlocked), SMS notification are received with vibration, notification bubble
and sound alert. The message received shows that it was actually received 10
minutes ago.
  This happened multiple times already but I think I ignored them and this
seems to have started after OTA-7 was released.

  EXPECTED:
  The phone should have the vibration, notification bubble/indicator and sound
alert even if the phone is locked.