I have the same problem. After establishing the connection I can ping
all IP's, even the DNS server in the VPN network. But DNS resolve for
servers in the VPN network does not work. I have even set the DNS
servers IP and the domains to resolve in the network managers VPN
configuration (in IPv4 settings) and set it to addresses only. It is
still not resolving any VPN network addresses. Global addresses are
resolved.

That was working in older versions of Ubuntu. I cannot tell when this
was broken because I do not regularily use VPN, but the configuration
was there and working in some previous release. I have upgraded this
machine now for quite some years. Now in 16.04 it is broken. On a
Windows machine that I tested it is still working.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to network-manager in Ubuntu.

  network manager openvpn dns push data not updating system DNS
  addresses

Status in network-manager package in Ubuntu:
  Incomplete
Status in openvpn package in Ubuntu:

  [Triage Notes]

  This bug can no longer make progress. Please see comment 50 for
  details and further instructions.

  [Original Description]

  When IPv4 Method is set to Automatic VPN, DNS address recieved from
  OpenVPN server do not update resolv.conf.

  This can be achieved when using a standard openvpn config file by
  adding the lines:

  script-security 2
  up /etc/openvpn/update-resolv-conf
  down /etc/openvpn/update-resolv-conf

  In Network-manager there seems to be no option to run connection
  specific scripts and the DNS data from the server is ignored.

  Ubuntu 13.04
  Network-manager 0.9.8.0-0ubuntu6