This is fixed in 16.10. Is there a plan to backport this? I'm guessing
not, because of the risk of regressions. If there's no plans to SRU,
then this bug should probably be closed.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to e2fsprogs in Ubuntu.

  Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, 14.04 LTS, 16.04 LTS do not support ext4 metadata
  checksumming

Status in e2fsprogs package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress

Bug description:
  In the Trusty release notes "Metadata checksumming" is listed as one
  of the tech highlights of kernel 3.13.

  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/TrustyTahr/ReleaseNotes#New_features_in_14.04_LTS

  However, the userland tools do not support this kernel feature. To the
  best of my knowledge this will be supported in 1.43, and won't be
  backported to 1.42.

  IMHO this is very misleading. It's like a car salesperson sold you a
  sports car with an V8 engine. After you drove it home, you opened the
  hood and realized only 6 cylinders are working because 2 of the spark
  plugs were not included, and you have to buy aftermarket ones.

  <rant>BTW, I've been following the development of e2fsprogs for over a
  year. 1.43  release has been in limbo for God knows how long :(
  </rant>