Public bug reported:

After a fresh install of Ubuntu Mate 16.04.1 on my laptop I have some
problems booting. After the grub menu the screen goes blank and nothing
happens after that. I think the system is booting properly apart from
the screen not showing anything, I can change the volume using the
hardware keys and I can connect with SSH from another machine. I've
found two workarounds for this problem.

1) Select recovery mode from the grub meny and then resume normal boot,
however, the screen resolution is not set properly.

2) Change my grub config file to boot into text mode. I commented out the line
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
and changed
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=”text"
and uncommented the line
#GRUB_TERMINAL=console

After running sudo update-grub and rebooting the system boots into MATE
and the correct screen resolution is set.

I've collected dmesg after a "blank screen" boot, let me know if there
is anything else I should provide.

Package: xorg 1:7.7+13ubuntu3
ApportVersion: 2.20.1-0ubuntu2.1
Architecture: amd64
CurrentDesktop: MATE
Date: Fri Oct  7 22:41:04 2016
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu-MATE 16.04.1 LTS "Xenial Xerus" - Release amd64
(20160719)
SourcePackage: xorg
Symptom: display
Title: Xorg freeze

** Affects: xorg (Ubuntu)

** Tags: amd64 apport-bug freeze xenial

** Attachment added: "dmesg.txt"
   https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1631528/+attachment/4757005/+files/dmesg.txt

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to xorg in Ubuntu.

  Blank screen after grub menu

Status in xorg package in Ubuntu: