I had exactly the same problem (ubuntu 16.04 latest). Just started
happenning, no apparent cause or changes beforehand.

Tried all the usual suggestions: eg:

a) rm -r ~/.config/pulse; pulseaudio -k - reboot
b) Open VLC,Go to Preferences,then to Sound,click in the reset preferences
button,Close VLC
c) sudo alsa force-reload
d) alsamixer - auto-mute - disable

- worked for a little while,but then came back again.

Just done Anthony's workaround above (#18) - & so far it has worked
(thanks Anthony). just have to remember how to re-enable it agan
whenever i want to use headphones in future.

Seem to recall this same/similar problem plagued users on Ubuntu 12.04
for a while.

We seem to be going backwards a little with 16.04. Looking forward to a
fix.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to pulseaudio in Ubuntu.

  Volume notification keeps popping up constantly(the notifyosd bubble
  on top-right corner)

Status in pulseaudio package in Ubuntu:

  I upgraded to Ubuntu 16.04 yesterday, I did a clean install while
  preserving the home directory which is mounted in a separate
  partition. Even during the installation I had constant volume
  notification bubble appearing on the top-right corner of my screen, it
  would come and go about twice every minute. I just thought it was due
  to installing hardware drivers or something but the problem persisted
  even when I booted into the freshly installed system. I did some
  searching and two users reported the exact problem. And one more
  suggested this happens because constant disconnect and reconnect of
  the sound card which makes sense as the sound settings flashes briefly
  during every popup. Someone on IRC suggested to kill pulseaudio and
  thus restart it, that does not fix the issue. I also tried the Live
  environment thinking it might be due to some old config files in home
  partition (which was preserved during upgrade), but this problem
  happens in the live environment as well, which makes sense because it
  was present during installation as well.

  Users with the same issue:
  http://askubuntu.com/questions/773008/constant-volume-osd-in-16-04

http://askubuntu.com/questions/767466/sound-card-being-disconnected-reconnected-constantly

  Thanks.

  Package: pulseaudio 1:8.0-0ubuntu3
  ApportVersion: 2.20.1-0ubuntu2
  Architecture: amd64
  AudioDevicesInUse:
   USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
   /dev/snd/controlC2:  sidd       1651 F.... pulseaudio
   /dev/snd/controlC0:  sidd       1651 F.... pulseaudio
   /dev/snd/controlC1:  sidd       1651 F.... pulseaudio
  CurrentDesktop: Unity
  Date: Tue May 24 12:31:12 2016
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 16.04 LTS "Xenial Xerus" - Release amd64
(20160420.1)
  SourcePackage: pulseaudio
  dmi.bios.date: 08/23/2011
  dmi.bios.vendor: American Megatrends Inc.
  dmi.bios.version: 0705
  dmi.board.asset.tag: To be filled by O.E.M.
  dmi.board.name: M5A97 EVO
  dmi.board.vendor: ASUSTeK Computer INC.
  dmi.board.version: Rev 1.xx
  dmi.chassis.asset.tag: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
  dmi.chassis.type: 3
  dmi.chassis.vendor: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
  dmi.chassis.version: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
  dmi.modalias:
dmi:bvnAmericanMegatrendsInc.:bvr0705:bd08/23/2011:svnTobefilledbyO.E.M.:pnTobefilledbyO.E.M.:pvrTobefilledbyO.E.M.:rvnASUSTeKComputerINC.:rnM5A97EVO:rvrRev1.xx:cvnToBeFilledByO.E.M.:ct3:cvrToBeFilledByO.E.M.:
  dmi.product.name: To be filled by O.E.M.
  dmi.product.version: To be filled by O.E.M.
  dmi.sys.vendor: To be filled by O.E.M.