Wow, I've just found this pretty old bug.

I am the author of the implementation of the new Scrollbars (landed
about 6 months ago).

This bug should be fixed, as you can hover to reveal the new scrollbar
and interact with it by dragging it or pressing the steppers buttons.

@Ugo: please reopen the bug if you think this is not fixed yet! :)

** Changed in: ubuntu-ui-toolkit (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: ubuntu-ui-toolkit (Ubuntu)
     Assignee: (unassigned) => Andrea Bernabei (faenil)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to ubuntu-ui-toolkit in

  Scrollbars don't show hovering ListView/ GridView

Status in ubuntu-ui-toolkit package in Ubuntu:

  Using the code from this branch
https://code.launchpad.net/~kalikiana/ubuntu-ui-toolkit/interactiveThumb/+merge/218307
  which is practically being merged into trunk now.

  The scrollbars appear when scrolling (scroll wheel or dragging) but
  they don't appear when hovering at the edge of the ListView/GridView.

  After resizing the window for the first time the behaviour of the
  scrollbar on hover becomes normal (i.e. they appear when hovered).