In case anyone is looking for a (sort of) workaround: a separate non-LVM
boot partition (/boot as mountpoint) circumvents the problem.

I'm not sure how easy this is to set up on an existing system. I had the
luxury of being able to do a clean install without much trouble. Of
course, this "workaround" is a bit heavy-handed, and should not be
necessary at all, as grub2 supports booting from LVM. But at least it
allows having the rest of the root filesystem on LVM volume(s).

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to lvm2 in Ubuntu.

  LVM-based filesystem does not boot with kernel 4.4 (but works with

Status in lvm2 package in Ubuntu:

Bug description:
  I‘ve updated my home-made NAS from wily to xenial and it stopped

  Selecting the 4.2 kernel on the grub menu makes it work again.

  The working kernel is 4.2.0-35-generic

  The failing kernel is 4.4.0-21-generic.

  When the booting sequence freezes, I can have a terminal with the
  following text :

   lvmetad is not active yet, using direct activation during sysinit
  Scannig for Btrfs flesystems

  Actually my set-up is lvm based, and the correponding lines of the
  output of a mount command are

  /dev/mapper/clio-root on / type btrfs
  /dev/mapper/clio-root on /mnt/clio-root type btrfs
  /dev/mapper/clio-root on /home type btrfs

Mailing list:
Post to     :
Unsubscribe :
More help   :