the changes i've made previously had other side effects, like breaking Spotify
net detection.
At the moment i'm using this:

hosts: files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] resolve dns

vpn and spotify are working

  SonicWall NetExteder broken by new nsswitch.conf configuration

Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:

Bug description:
  In Ubuntu Yakkety the following line in /etc/nsswitch.conf breaks DNS
resolution via the VPN tunnel created by Sonicwall NetExtender application.

  hosts:          files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] resolve
[!UNAVAIL=return] dns

  Changing this line to:

  hosts:          files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] resolve
  [UNAVAIL=return] dns

  hosts:         files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns
  [!UNAVAIL=return] resolve

  I have not found documentation on what "resolve" means, so im not sure this
lines makes global sense, but it solve my dns problem. If i have to guess its
another systemd incarnation.

  As a side note NetExtender modifies /etc/resolv.conf and adds the VPN
  DNS servers as the first entries. So when NetExtender is connected the
  first lines in /etc/resolv.conf contains the VPN DNS IP and only after
  there is the local dnsmasq entry.

  Sadly i could not found which package creates this file as "dpkg-query
  -S /etc/nsswitch.conf" returns no results on my system.

  ProblemType: Bug
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 16.10
  Package: libnss3 2:3.26-1ubuntu1
  Uname: Linux 4.8.0-21-generic x86_64
  NonfreeKernelModules: zfs zunicode zcommon znvpair zavl nvidia_uvm nvidia_drm
nvidia_modeset nvidia
  ApportVersion: 2.20.3-0ubuntu8
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: Unity