I'm having same issues with vpnc plugin and DNS servers I get from my
VPN. Seems like dnsmasq doesn't try to send DNS resolve packet at all
via tunnel. Once I connect to tunnel, DNS resolving is totally broken.

  systemd-resolved breaks VPN with split-horizon DNS

Status in systemd:
Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:

Bug description:
  I use a VPN configured with network-manager-openconnect-gnome in which
  a split-horizon DNS setup assigns different addresses to some names
  inside the remote network than the addresses seen for those names from
  outside the remote network.  However, systemd-resolved often decides
  to ignore the VPN’s DNS servers and use the local network’s DNS
  servers to resolve names (whether in the remote domain or not),
  breaking the split-horizon DNS.

  This related bug, reported by Lennart Poettering himself, was closed with the
current Fedora release at the time reaching EOL: