This has been fixed in Ubuntu 16.10.  I'm guessing by systemd/dbus
changes but I'm not sure.  Tested with gedit and virt-manager.

** Changed in: dbus (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to dbus in Ubuntu.

  ssh -X user@machine hangs when using exit to terminate

Status in D-Bus:
  Confirmed
Status in dbus package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in dbus package in Debian:

  ssh -X user@server hangs when using exit to terminate

  Steps to reproduce:
  user@client:~$ ssh -X user@server
  user@server:~$ gedit

  At this point gedit from server will run locally. Closing the program
  and returning to the terminal you run:

  user@server:~$ exit
  logout

  At this point the terminal hangs on the echo logout, but does not return to
the client prompt. The action has been consistent when connecting to a server
running opensolaris or ubuntu 8.04.
  The client is using Ubuntu 10.04 and the server is using 8.04, and using
default password authentication. As you will see in the video attached I can
confirm the issue when using a clean Ubuntu 10.04 as a client and Ubuntu 8.04
as the server, using default password authentication.

  Workaround
  -When logging out with "exit" and it hangs, press Ctrl-C
  -If you would like to simply use gedit on another computer use the following
command:
    $ dbus-launch gedit

  Date: Thu Jun 10 17:34:26 2010