Does apt-key work without gnupg2? It seems that the most parts require
it, for example I can't even list the keys without it. Wouldn't it make
more sense to split apt-key into its own package and make gnupg2 a
harddependency of it?

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to apt in Ubuntu.

  gnupg2 is missing as dependency while apt-key uses it

Status in apt package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  I'm using Ubuntu 16.10 with apt 1.3.1 and on using apt-key I got the
  following error:

  Error: gnupg, gnupg2 and gnupg1 do not seem to be installed,
  Error: but apt-key requires gnupg, gnupg2 or gnupg1 for this operation.

  So maybe gnupg(2) should get a dependency of apt.