** Also affects: canonical-devices-system-image

** Changed in: canonical-devices-system-image

** Tags added: unity8-desktop

  When using fprint, Unity 8 crashes every 5 seconds and/or there is a
  cursor freeze

Status in Canonical System Image:
  Incomplete
Status in unity8 package in Ubuntu:

  I got some Bugsplat screens come up but they didn't bring up a
  Launchpad window so I'm gonna report it here too.

  I tried the Unity 8 session in Ubuntu 16.10 and when I log in I can't
  move the mouse (maybe this should be filed as a separate bug?), once I
  hit the keyboard (I used Alt+Tab) I am able to move the mouse but the
  screen goes black after five seconds and then comes back up after
  around 2.5 seconds with the scopes and indicator tray visibly
  reloading. After five seconds, the screen goes black again, comes up
  after 2.5 seconds, goes black after five seconds... seemingly forever.

  I noticed that my fingerprint scanner (this is a Lenovo ThinkPad X201)
  had its light on so it was wanting to receive a fingerprint. Trying to
  scan my fingerprint didn't make a difference to the situation. I use
  fprint from this PPA
  (https://launchpad.net/~fingerprint/+archive/ubuntu/fprint) to get the
  scanner to work, I don't think the official repository version of
  fprint supports my fingerprint reader. I will remove the package and
  see if this changes the situation and will edit/comment once I've done
  that.

  Package: unity8 8.14+16.10.20160922-0ubuntu2
  ApportVersion: 2.20.3-0ubuntu8
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: Unity
  Date: Thu Oct 13 19:36:47 2016
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 16.04 LTS "Xenial Xerus" - Release amd64
(20160420.1)
  SourcePackage: unity8
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to yakkety on 2016-10-11 (2 days ago)