For any poor soul who wanders here, here is the best known workaround
for this issue I've seen to date:

22-09-2016 15:23:18 < stgraber!~stgraber@ubuntu/member/stgraber: cmars:
if you mask (systemctl mask) the systemd units related to binfmt
(systemctl -a | grep binfmt) and reboot, then the problem is gone for
good. This is related to systemd's use of automount and not to binfmt-
misc (which just ships a bunch of binfmt hooks)

FYI, I think this will disable binfmt.

   Too many levels of symbolic links /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc

Status in binfmt-support package in Ubuntu:
Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:

Bug description:
  At first I thought this was an LXD issue, but it turns out the issue
  is in systemd

  ls -l  /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc  fails with error:

  Too many levels of symbolic links

  I restarted binfmt manually by running:

      sudo /usr/sbin/update-binfmts --disable
      sudo /usr/sbin/update-binfmts --enable

  I think using systemd to do this would have also worked:

      sudo service binfmt-support restart

Mailing list:
Post to     :
Unsubscribe :