We do run that, things that may have happened:

1) Was not a clean build, i think we don't run it again for successive builds
2) You Cltrl+C'ed it when it asked for the root password, then since we don't
run it for successive builds it was never run again.

Can you try to actually reproduce this?

  build.sh script fails to build needed dependencies

Status in unity8 package in Ubuntu:

  I branched Unity8 and tried to build it on top of my fresh Ubuntu
  16.10 but build.sh script failed with following:
  https://paste.ubuntu.com/23343453/

  I needed to run sudo mk-build-deps -ir debian/control manually to get
  the needed dependencies working and on the next run build script
  worked.

  By looking at the build.sh script looks like it should run something
  similar but for some reason it failed for me.