Using
Linux Mint 18.0 x64 Mate
with
pm-utils 1.4.1-16

Same problem here.
Problem could be the result of switching to systemd.
Sometimes my Acer Laptop only wants to go into the hibernate after the 4.
try....
(Yes, i'm clicking the hibernate button or using the "systemctl hibernate"
command 4 times in a row...

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to pm-utils in Ubuntu.

  pm-utils does not write pm-suspend.log file

Status in pm-utils package in Ubuntu:

  Hello,

  I hope I'm filing this information the proper way and I thank you for
  reading it.

  1) Kubuntu 16.04
  2) pm-utils 1.4.1-16

  3) As far as the info I could find, the package "pm-utils" is supposed
  to write log files in /var/log, such as "pm-suspend.log". These log
  files, as you know, help troubleshoot hibernate/resume issues.

  I happen to have one issue with hooks that don't run on resume, that
  do run prior to hibernate when I run them manually and don't after
  resume when I run them the same manual way. (different issue than this
  bug report)

  4) Therefore I need to scan through pm-suspeng.log file, but the file
  is not created on my machine, anywhere on the HDD.

  I have added my user to the "systemd-journal", "root" and "sudo"
  groups, in case that could help, I still don't see the log file.

  With previous Kubuntu versions (13.10 and others before, didn't try
  between 13.10 and 16.04), this log file was created right away.

  After searching and trying things out, I'm leaning towards the
  possibility of a bug, which is the reason why I am posting here.

  I do not know what other information to provide.

  Thank you