** Description changed:

  As discussed on IRC, I tried to change the favorites key, and 3 trials
  on 10 didn't make any change in what the launcher displays. seb128
  reproduced it as well. (just be aware that we just create the .desktop
  file just before).

  The exact same code seems to work 100% of the time on trusty.

  So, we:
  1. create the desktop file
  2. from gi.repository import GLib, Gio
  gsettings = Gio.Settings(schema_id="com.canonical.Unity.Launcher",
path="/com/canonical/unity/launcher/")
  then, get the favorites list and add the desktop file.
  3.         gsettings.set_strv("favorites", new_launcher_list)
  -> No launcher icon added from new launcher list.
  However, a "$ gsettings get" shows that desktop file (which is present.
  Note that changing the list and changing it back works.

-
- This was first experimented on June 2014 on IRC.
+ This was first experimented on June 2014 and reported on IRC.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to unity in Ubuntu.

  utopic unity (7.3.1+14.10.20140811-0ubuntu1) launcher addition through
  gsettings isn't picked up

Status in Unity:
  Confirmed
Status in “unity” package in Ubuntu: