Concerning the "bootspeed" tag, the NM issue would be less noticable if
"rc-local.service" was removed from "After=" in plymouth-quit.service.
That way, my boot-to-graphical-login is a few seconds faster because
plymouth is only visible for a very very short time instead of waiting
up to 8 seconds for the network to come up. I did that using systemd
override, and now my boot on kernel 4.4 is almost as fast as it was in
16.04.

Of course, technically the full boot including nmbd etc. still takes the
same time because NM is still slow, but I don't really care if nmbd is
up when I type my password into lightdm. The only thing that matters to
me is that I can type my password and then fire up Chromium, by which
time the network generally is ready to use in my case.

But maybe there's a good reason for some people to have rc.local
executed (and therefor network ready to use) before starting lightdm.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to network-manager in Ubuntu.

  NetworkManager takes very long to start, or times out, blocked on RNG

Status in Auto Package Testing:
  Fix Released
Status in gnutls28 package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in network-manager package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in network-manager package in Debian:

  Since a few days ago, NetworkManager.service takes awfully long to
  start, or even times out on failure and then gets restarted. This
  happens in a 16.10 desktop amd64 installation in QEMU, or e. g. in the
  systemd "boot-smoke" autopkgtest where every boot takes > 1:30 minutes
  due to the NM timeout.

  In the journal there is no actual logging from
  /usr/sbin/NetworkManager yet, just the start timeout.

  Package: network-manager 1.2.2-0ubuntu8
  ApportVersion: 2.20.3-0ubuntu7
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: i3