what an ordeal to get a bluetooth headset working in 16.04, way worse
than 14.04 was (at least in 14.04 it only would not keep the output
profile and had to select the headset output on every re-connection)

I have a Voyager Legend that will pair but not function.  This device
shows up initially as headset unit (mono) but selecting it does not
work.  I have to restart the bluetooth service, kill pulseaudio, then
sometimes it will start working in HSP.  Then I change it to A2DP mode
and it stops working (I can not select it as output anymore, when I
change it to A2Dp it jumps from the headse to the first output,
selecting headset again it is back in HSP).  I have to restart bluetooth
again and kill pulseaudio again then I can select it and change to A2DP
finally and it keeps and works perfectly... until I disconnect the
headset walking away or turn it off.

when I turn it back on again I get no output.  looking at logs I see

[pulseaudio] sink-input.c: Failed to create sink input: sink is
suspended.

any attempt to play audio this error appears.  Doing all the "tricks"
above ALSO does nothing to fix the sink issue.  I have to now change the
profile from A2DP back to HSP, then click test a few times and the
headset connects, but I can not change it to A2DP again as it jumps up
to top output again.

Now at this point I have to do all of the first tricks again (kill
pulse, restart blue, etc) and then SOMETIMES I can select A2DP again and
it will work again, but many times I have to do this 2 or more times
before it will finally work

On a side note at least I was able to use my headset on 14.04 with both
my computer and my cell phone at the same time, now that is impossible
as it never works if the phone is connected

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to bluez in Ubuntu.

  [Bluetooth + 14.04] Bluetooth headsets are not working after last
  couple of updates

Status in Blueman:
  New
Status in blueman package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in bluez package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in gnome-bluetooth package in Ubuntu:

  Hi,

  I found a bug in Ubuntu 14.04 !

  I tried to pair a bluetooth stereo headset (A2DP compatible). The
  pairing process goes well, but after that I can't select it on the
  audio preferences.

  When I select it, it only shows the last selected item options and don't do
anything. (he should switch to the headset output).
  I must mention that it worked very well on Ubuntu 12.04.

  This bug can be in the bluetooth stack or in unity-control-center or
  maybe pulseaudio. I actually have no idea.