Hi Micheal, I also just stumbled on this problem. :-)

I wonder if this could be solved in a very different way, which does not
involve any changes to dbus-daemon. I've seen that for bug 1590679 we
are moving to a solution [1] in which the snap providing the D-Bus
service would declare an interface slot.

Could snapd be so smart to copy the .service file into
/usr/share/dbus/services/ when the interface gets connected, and unlink
it when it gets disconnected?

Or, if the proposed merge gets changes in such a way that the snap
declares a plug (rather than a slot), we might be able to use the
upcoming interface hooks so that the (privileged) snap providing the
slot would register interface hook that perform the linking/unlinking of
the .service files.

Opinions?

[1] https://github.com/snapcore/snapd/pull/1613

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to dbus in Ubuntu.

  Support dbus runtime relocation

Status in D-Bus:
  Unknown
Status in dbus package in Ubuntu:

  For example, when running in a snap.

  I ran into this while testing a unity8 desktop session snap.  Session
  services were being dbus-activated, but dbus was running the hardcoded
  paths in the session desktop files.  Which weren't pointed into the
  snap.

  DBus has support for relocating those paths, but it only does so on
  Windows.

  I've added a patch to support $DBUS_ROOT on Unix and relocate paths as
  needed.  I've linked the upstream bug here.  We may want to consider
  patching Ubuntu while we wait for it to land upstream.

  I've attached the patch here too.