If I remember correctly the broken error messages were the one from this
issue ( https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/apt/+bug/1524196 ) as
they appeared around the same time.

** Changed in: apt (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to apt in Ubuntu.

  stdout and stderr are not synced on lines

Status in apt package in Ubuntu:

  I'm using Ubuntu 16.04 dev with apt 1.1.3 and I'm noticing that for
  example if on executing "apt-get update" error messages are shown they
  are often broken. They are missing sometimes characters which seem to
  be splitted across multiple lines. It looks that apt doesn't ensure
  writing complete lines if stdout and stderr are used.