The correct approach is to have gettext look into the langpack
translations first, and then fall back to the package's translations.
That's also the way it was explained to work: Packages ship initial
translations for bootstrapping purposes, and those can be updated via
language packs.

I have no intention to ship translations from Launchpad in apt. That
would mean diverging from the upstream packaging, which I have no
intention to, I'm happy we got that working without a diff now. If
people want to help with the translations apt ships, they can do that
_upstream_ (talk to the previous translators, and take over if they
don't respond).

That said, even if I wanted to, merging the translations from launchpad
would be a pain in the ass:

First of all, the translation templates are not remotely up-to-date
(only since 1.3 there's a chance for Launchpad to import them, previous
versions only had templates without any of the headers). Thus, Xenial
does not have templates suitable for the apt version it ships with, but
rather for 1.0something or similar.

Secondly, the translation templates in launchpad are the split ones -
APT's build system requires a merged translation file of all domains.

What we can do, if neccessary, is fix translations in the stable
branches for strings not in master. But that really needs review by the
appropriate channels upstream as well. And especially for 17.04 and
17.10 - those will get the same release series as the next Debian stable
release. For Ubuntu-only branches, we can probably relax the
translation-ML-must-review requirement, but it seems a bit rude.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to apt in Ubuntu.

  Incorrect Russian translation of "apt list --upgradeable" results

Status in Ubuntu Translations:
  Invalid
Status in apt package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Committed

Bug description:
  bor@bor-Latitude-E5450:~$ apt list --upgradeable
  Вывод списка… Готово
  build/неизвестно 20161025 all [может быть обновлён до: 20151105]

  In Russian this means "version 20161025 can be upgraded TO version
  20151105)

  While original English says exactly opposite:

  bor@bor-Latitude-E5450:~$ LC_ALL=C LANG=C apt list --upgradeable
  Listing... Done
  build/unknown 20161025 all [upgradable from: 20151105]

  Literal translation (that does not require serious phrase change)
  would probably be

  "может быть обновлен с"

  although it sounds also artificial, as in Russian subject is package
  that is being updated (currently installed), not new version.

  Package: apt 1.2.12~ubuntu16.04.1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 4.8.0-25.27~16.04.1-generic 4.8.1
  Uname: Linux 4.8.0-25-generic x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.20.1-0ubuntu2.1
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: Unity
  Date: Sun Oct 30 09:39:47 2016
  DistributionChannelDescriptor:
   # This is a distribution channel descriptor
   # For more information see
http://wiki.ubuntu.com/DistributionChannelDescriptor
   canonical-oem-somerville-trusty-amd64-20140620-0
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 14.04 "Trusty" - Build amd64 LIVE Binary
20140620-04:25
  SourcePackage: apt
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to xenial on 2016-10-29 (0 days ago)