I just spent two hours yesterday debugging this issue, Network Manager
was not starting because there was a static interface configured that
wasn't present.

The fix is simple and works, please apply it.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to network-manager in Ubuntu.

  Network Manager's Upstart configuration is wrong - Network Manager
  doesn't start in case of faulty ifupdown configuration

Status in “network-manager” package in Ubuntu:

  Hi everyone,

  If you add a faulty entry to ifupdown's configuration
  (/etc/network/interfaces or sourced in files) then Network Manager
  doesn't get started by Upstart.

  As an example add this block for a non-existent network interface to
/etc/network/interfaces:
  auto bogus0
  iface bogus0 inet dhcp

  If you reboot your machine then Network Manager won't be started by
  Upstart.

  The issue with Network Manager's Upstart configuration is that it starts on
the following condition:
  start on (local-filesystems
          and started dbus
          and static-network-up)

  This is wrong as the static-network-up event is never emitted in case the
ifupdown configuration is (partially) invalid.
  In order to fix this issue please use the following start on condition:
  start on (local-filesystems
          and started dbus
          and started networking)

  This is an issue in all currently supported Ubuntu releases.

  Best,

  Michael Schaller