Also see https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unity/+bug/1199877
This appears to be my issue since upgrading to 16.10 (tl;dr:  Try
killing Owncloud to see if that solves it)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to hud in Ubuntu.

  massive memory leak in unity-panel-service and hud-service when
  invoking the hud on Firefox profiles with large amounts of bookmarks
  LTS 12.04 14.04

Status in Unity HUD:
  Confirmed
Status in Application Menu Indicator:
  Confirmed
Status in Unity:
  Won't Fix
Status in firefox package in Ubuntu:
  Incomplete
Status in hud package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in unity package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in firefox source package in Xenial:
  Incomplete
Status in hud source package in Xenial:
  Confirmed
Status in unity source package in Xenial:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  unity-panel-service and hud-service quickly racks up memory and CPU
  usage until I kill it when invoking the HUD on Firefox. It's taking
  anywhere from a few minutes to half an hour, but it sometimes makes
  the system completely unusable.

  1. run Firefox 12.0 in the foreground
  2. hit Alt to bring up HUD
  3. type any text
  4. select one proposal from HUD
  5. wait for unity-panel-service and hud-service to fill up the remaining RAM
and swap space.

  This is due to a high number of bookmarks in a user profile
  (hundreds).