** Description changed:

  This problem occurs on the current development version of zesty; it does
  not occur on any other Ubuntu version that is currently supported.

  Lightdm offers the possibility to start the default on-screen keyboard
  Onboard. Further, Onboard offers the possibility to start the hover
  click, which is provided by a process called mousetweaks.

  The hover click consists in having the system automatically perform a
  left click (and optionally other click types) shortly after the pointer
  stops moving. It is an accessibility feature for example for people that
  are not able to click with an hardware device, like mouse buttons.

  Here is how to start the hover click in lightdm:
  - Start the on-screen keyboard Onboard by using the accessibility menu at the
top right.
  - Click on the key on the at the right of the Onboard layout that has a
pointer as label; an additional column with keys will appear; these are the
keys to control the hover click.
  - Click on the key at the bottom of the column that just appeared and that
shows a pointer with a little clock. This is the key to start the hover click.
In fact, it starts the mousetweaks process, that provides the hover click
feature.

  The problem now is that the mousetweaks process started by Onboard in
  lightdm is still running after entering the desktop session.

  Here is the terminal output after entering the desktop session:

  $ ps -ef | grep mouse
  lightdm   1784     1  0 22:30 ?        00:00:00 mousetweaks
  frafu     3584  3546  1 22:31 ?        00:00:00 mousetweaks
  frafu     4324  3105  0 22:31 pts/5    00:00:00 grep mouse

  As you can see, the mousetweaks process started under lightdm is still
- running and there is also a second mousetweaks process that was started
- because the desktop session is configured to automatically start the on-
- screen keyboard Onboard and Onboard is configured to start the hover
- click.
+ running. The second mousetweaks process in the terminal output was
+ started by settings in the desktop session.

  This behaviour is new in zesty; in previous Ubuntu versions there was no
  mousetweaks process left running under lightdm after entering the
  desktop session.

  As Onboard has not been responsible until now for killing the
  mousetweaks process it started under lightdm, I am filing this bug
  against lightdm.

  On the other hand, one could argue that since it is Onboard that starts
- mousetweaks, it is also Onboard's job to kill it when exiting lightdm.
- This is what we from the Onboard development team are wandering now.
+ mousetweaks under lightdm, it is also Onboard's job to kill it when
+ exiting lightdm. This is what we from the Onboard development team are
+ wondering now.

  @ lightdm developers or maintainers

+ Please let us know, what you think about Onboard being responsible to
+ kill mousetweaks when switching when entering the desktop session.

- Please let us know, what you think about it.
+ I don't know how difficult it will be to implement it, as Onboard cannot
+ simply stop the hover click when it gets killed. In fact, in the desktop
+ session, the hover click can be started independently from Onboard in
+ the Pointing and Clicking tab from the Universal Access control panel in
+ the System Settings.

- I am also subscribing marmuta, the main Onboard developer who knows
- about me filing this bug, to this bug thread.
+ I am also subscribing the other members of the Onboard development team
+ to this bug thread.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to lightdm in Ubuntu.

  mousetweaks process does not get killed when entering desktop

Status in lightdm package in Ubuntu:

[...]

  starts mousetweaks under lightdm, it is also Onboard's job to kill it
  when exiting lightdm. This is what we from the Onboard development
  team are wondering now.