>From the initramfs shell can you provide me the output for

ls -la /sys/class/net/*
and
cat /sys/class/net/*/address

I have a feeling you'll only see lo and enx847beb55c195.  Specifially I'm
looking for the device name that matches your BOOTIF mac address.  However if
it's showing up please attempt to run
$ ipconfig -t 100 <name of device>

Then see if the nic comes up from there with ip a.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to initramfs-tools in Ubuntu.

  Cannot enlist/commission machines in MAAS 2.1 with usb network adapter

Status in MAAS:
  Invalid
Status in maas-images:
  New
Status in initramfs-tools package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in linux package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  After upgrade from MAAS 2.0 to MAAS 2.1:

  Cannot enlist/commission client machines via network boot (or pre-
  staging machine) when using usb-c network adapter D59GG (e.g.
  Precision 5510). This was working ok with MAAS 2.0.

  Using the Xenial 16.04 base image for enlist/commission (no minimum
  kernel set).

  Enlist/Commission/Deploy works fine with other laptop and desktop
  models which have a built in NIC.

  From an already deployed Precision 5510 system (16.04.1) I can see the
  following module is loaded when the usb-c adapter is connected (and
  working):

  $ lsmod
  usbnet        45056 1 cdc_ether

  Errors received on client during enlisting with MAAS:

  no /run/net-bootif.conf
  lvmetad is not activated
  ...invalid path for logical volume.
  gave up waiting for root device
  common problems: boot args (cat /proc/cmdline)
  check rootdelay = (did system wait long enough)
  check root = (did the system wait for the right device?)
  missing modules (cat /proc/modules)
  ALERT!
/dev/disk/by-path/ip-<ipaddress>:3260-iscsi-iqn,2004.05.com.ubuntu:maas:ephemeral-ubuntu-amd64-generic-xenial-daily-lun-1
 does not exist. Dropping to shell!
  usbcore: registered new interface driver usbhid
  usbhid: USB HID core driver

  - cat /proc/cmdline shows mac address that of usb-c network adapter.
  - cat /proc/modules includes “usbnet 45056 cdc_ether, Live 0xffffffffc009c000”
  - cat /proc/modules | grep usb … includes “ usbnet 45056 and usbhid 49152”

  I've tried enlisting with older boot image and different kernel versions
(14.04 and 16.04 with ga-16.04, hwe-16.04 set) but get the same problem.

  It seems like the usb-c network adapter isn't loading properly or
  maybe just not quickly enough?

  Please let me know if you require any more info. I can provide info
  from /var/log/maas/* and dpkg -l '*maas*'|cat if need be.