Confirmed, this is incredibly annoying.  In my case, it's coming from
PHP.  I've got 44k of such messages in my auth.log file that covers just
the last 3.5 days, and 16k of those were actually "repeated x times"
messages!  All coming from php or php7.0 (both pointing to the same
php7.0-cli binary).  I believe this is because I use php-mongodb
extensively, which uses libsasl2-2.

libsasl2-modules 2.1.25.dfsg1-17build1 on Ubuntu 14.04.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to cyrus-sasl2 in Ubuntu.

  Annoying log message "DIGEST-MD5 common mech free"

Status in cyrus-sasl2 package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in cyrus-sasl2 package in Debian:

  I recently updated the libsasl2-modules to
2.1.24~rc1.dfsg1+cvs2011-05-23-4ubuntu1 in oneiric.
  That triggered the bug also described in Debian here:

  The annoying message is logged in auth.log. In my case, it is associated with
svnserve:
  svnserve: DIGEST-MD5 common mech free

  I'm not exactly sure what action triggers the message, but I can
  investigate more if required.

  $ lsb_release -rd
  Release:        11.10