This still affects Ubuntu 16.04.

I see that gnome-software shows the title as gedit rather than Text
Editor. That leads me to believe that there is a problem with the
.desktop files or the appstream info gedit is providing.

Maybe Unity is using a special value and that's why Unity shows Text
Editor in the Dash but gedit is used everywhere else.

** Attachment added: "Gnome Software shows gedit rather than Text Editor."

https://bugs.launchpad.net/hundredpapercuts/+bug/1437395/+attachment/4786109/+files/gnome-software%20screenshot.png

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to gtk+3.0 in Ubuntu.

  gedit should display as Text Editor in Default Applications

Status in One Hundred Papercuts:
  New
Status in gtk+3.0 package in Ubuntu:
  New

Bug description:
  In places related to choosing which application should be used to open
  a file, the entry should be Text Editor. That is what is used in the
  Unity menu and dash.

  This affects the Default Applications menu in System Settings, the
  Open With context menu, the Other Application... dialogue, and the
  Open With tab in the file properties dialogue.

  ProblemType: Bug
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 14.04
  Package: gedit 3.10.4-0ubuntu4
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.13.0-48.80-generic 3.13.11-ckt16
  Uname: Linux 3.13.0-48-generic x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.14.1-0ubuntu3.8
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: Unity