I think we need to do a bit more here to really make this right. The
reason the indicator isn't showing in the top panel normally in this
case, is because your VM doesn't have a battery. So not showing a
battery icon on a system without a battery, is totally expected.

However, it is still being run, and due to the indicators drop-down
panel design of Unity 8, normally accessible, despite it not being
particularly useful for certain systems.

Even more fun is that the "Battery" panel in System Settings is already
being hidden, but clicking on "Battery settings..." in the indicator
will open it anyway.

We need some way to hide certain indicators from the drop-down as well
as from the panel.

** Also affects: unity8 (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to indicator-power in Ubuntu.

  In unity8-session snap on Core 16, no battery icon is shown

Status in Canonical System Image:
  New
Status in indicator-power package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in unity8 package in Ubuntu:

  I was testing the unity8-session in a Core 16 VM, and I noticed that
  indicator-power wasn't showing an icon in the top panel.

  When I opened the indicator menu, indicator-power seemed to be filling
  out its menu correctly, so it is running.  It just didn't give an icon
  that u8 knew about (or we aren't bundling the right icons into the
  snap?).  But I bet that the indicator is giving back an absolute path
  that points outside the snap.