I don't know whether it is significant but I notice in syslog that for
the second connection to the vpn I see the additional line

systemd-resolved[1001]: Using degraded feature set (UDP+EDNS0+DO) for
DNS server 127.0.1.1.

and I notice that a similar message is present in the log in comment #1

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to network-manager in Ubuntu.

  Network Manager + OpenVPN does not respond to DNS server change on
  second connection attempt

Status in dnsmasq:
  New
Status in network-manager package in Ubuntu:

  Scenario:
  Discovered on Kubuntu 16.10, upgraded from a fresh install of 16.04. While I
only have the one computer to test with, the 16.10 is definitely relevant (I
did not have this problem on 16.04)  but I can't tell if the upgrade is part of
it,  (the upgrade may or may not be relevant).

  Have "full time"  wired or wireless connection  (does not matter which used)
  Part time OpenVPN connection set up via NetworkManager.

  Steps to reproduce
  1. Fresh boot
  2.  ping a device on the VPN network  (eg amachine.remotelan ) Result:
"ping: amachine.remotelan: Name or service not known"
  3.  Connect to the VPN service via Network Manager.
  4. ping amachine.remotelan  -  result:
   PING amachine.remotelan (192.168.68.44) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from amachine.remotelan (192.168.68.44): icmp_seq=1 ttl=127
time=7.75 ms
  5.  Disconnect from the VPN service again.
    ping result again "ping: amachine.remotelan: Name or service not known"

  6. Reconnect to the VPN again, and ping again

  Observed:
     "ping: amachine.remotelan: Name or service not known"

    However "ping 192.168.68.44"  responds successfully as expected

  Expected:
      PING ... 192.168.... 64 bytes from .. etc   to the ping by name