Prior to this commit linking works:

 https://sourceware.org/git/gitweb.cgi?p=binutils-
gdb.git;a=commit;h=1a9ccd70f9a7

 "Fix the linker so that it will not silently generate ELF binaries with
invalid program headers.  Fix readelf to report such invalid binaries."

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to binutils in Ubuntu.

  Regression with Zesty binutils building u-boot

Status in binutils package in Ubuntu:

  With GNU ld (GNU Binutils for Ubuntu) 2.27.51.20161202 (arm-linux-
  gnueabi), building my u-boot target fails:

    LD      u-boot
  arm-linux-gnueabi-ld.bfd: u-boot: Not enough room for program headers, try
linking with -N
  arm-linux-gnueabi-ld.bfd: final link failed: Bad value
  Makefile:1187: recipe for target 'u-boot' failed

  If I instad use the GNU ld (2.27-9ubuntu1+9) 2.27 (arm-none-eabi), the
  same code links without issue.