Not sure which package needs updating, or if this is an interaction
between packages. I'll leave that judgment to the experts. Maybe some
additional debugging is needed (special kernel) to log the functionality
and package interactions and help narrow down the problem?  This problem
has been around at least since Ubuntu 14 LTS and previous model Samsung
Chromebooks, according to my web research.

** Package changed: pulseaudio (Ubuntu) => kernel-package (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to pulseaudio in Ubuntu.

  XE500C13-K02US Samsung Chromebook 3 Ubuntu 16.04.1 touchpad and
  keyboard not responsive, also no audio

Status in kernel-package package in Ubuntu:

  16.04.1 image has no native keyboard or mouse interaction. I'm writing
  this bug report on the affected platform, a new Samsung Chromebook 3,
  XE500C13-K02US. In order to get Ubuntu to recognize keyboard and mouse
  input, I needed to use an external USB keyboard-mouse.

  Let me know if this platform has been tested. I'm assuming this newer
  Samsung platform is not yet tested with Ubuntu and that there are some
  issues to work through. This is a fantastic platform for Ubuntu use -
  R&D, Edu, Software Development, General Linux use. I hope we can find
  a fix to the problem.

  Let me know what I can do to help. I've seen this issue since previous
  Samsung Chromebook models and since Ubuntu 14 LTS, so I'm assuming
  someone has already taken the lead on this issue?

  Thanks again, let me know what I can do to help test any proposed
  fixes. I have plenty of MAC, PC, and Chromebook platforms available
  for testing, but to this point haven't before volunteered for Ubuntu
  testing-debugging :)

  As a side note, the audio also isn't working which seems to be a
  common problem with Ubuntu on several Chromebook platforms, including
  Acer and Samsung.