GtkTextView / Pango / fontconfig are rendering DejaVu Serif 10pt
strangely. Characters in this font should go nicely beside DejaVu Sans
10pt and DejaVu Sans Mono 10pt quite nicely on the same line, but the
Serif is rendering funny.

Only at 10pt. These three fonts at 12pt are all rendering correctly
alongside each other (9pt works too, interestingly).

You can perhaps see this problem by doing:

$ pango-view --font="DejaVu Sans Mono, 10" README  &
$ pango-view --font="DejaVu Sans 10" README  &
$ pango-view --font="DejaVu Serif 10" README  &

where README is some large textfile. You'll see that the first two are
nicely aligned, but that the characters in the Serif font are much
smaller (they seem to be about 9pt, actually) although the line hights
are correctly consistent in all three.

I'm not really in a rush to blame ttf-dejavu to be honest. Sitting with
Carl Worth and Keith Packard a few hours ago, we did

$ fc-match -v "DejaVu Serif Book-10"

and got what looked to be correct numbers. That said, Ubuntu Jaunty's
version of DejaVu is 2.25, and the Gentoo developer who just tried my
example code and the `pango-view` commands above has 2.28 available to
him and he could not observe the problem.

If you want to see it for yourself in my use case, you could grab
bzr://research.operationaldynamics.com/bzr/java-gnome/hackers/andrew
/bug-font-size/ and having built it, run

$ java -classpath tmp/gtk-4.0.jar:tmp/tests/ FontHeights

to avoid you having to do that, I've got three screenshots for you: one
of it working at 12pt, and a second of it being busted at 10pt.

AfC

** Affects: fonts-dejavu (Ubuntu)

DejaVu / Pango / fontconfig problem with hinting of DejaVu Serif 10pt font
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/320828
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu Touch
seeded packages, which is subscribed to fonts-dejavu in Ubuntu.