I just ran into this on my KDE Neon system when I noticed this morning
that a full upgrade of the neon packages was running that I hadn't
triggered myself.

>From what I can tell, adding "${distro_id}:${distro_codename}" to
/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/50unattended-upgrades has the effect of enabling
unattended updates for any changes to the main release archive (xenial,
in this case).

In the context of a released distro like xenial or yakkety, this works
because there are few if any changes to the main archive.  But in the
case of Zesty, which is presumably under heavy development, changes
*are* being made to the main archive, so those updates are being
applied.

So I don't think unattended-upgrades is confused - it's doing exactly
what the configuration tells it to do:  install updates either from the
main repository or -security.  This doesn't happen in xenial or yakkety
simply because there are no updates in the main repo to apply.

That's my guess, anyway, based on my quick crash-course in unattended-
upgrades.  :-)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to unattended-upgrades in

  unatttended-upgrades 0.92ubuntu3 installs all updates but update-
  manager is set to only install security automatically

Status in unattended-upgrades package in Ubuntu:

  I opened my Zesty virtual machine in VirtualBox to manually install
  updates.

  I was surprised to see that unattended-upgrades was running and
  installed all the updates for me.

  update-manager is set to the default settings:
  - Download and install security updates automatically
  - Display other updates weekly

  I assume this is a regression caused by the fix for bug 1624641.

  Allowed origins are: ['o=Ubuntu,a=zesty', 'o=Ubuntu,a=zesty-security']

  And obviously zesty-security isn't open yet.

  Package: unattended-upgrades 0.93.1
  ApportVersion: 2.20.3-0ubuntu8
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: GNOME
  Date: Tue Dec 13 17:26:22 2016
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu-GNOME 17.04 "Zesty Zapus" - Alpha amd64 (20161027)
  PackageArchitecture: all
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm-256color
   PATH=(custom, no user)