I hate to say this.. but "It works in Windows" (dual boot but nearly empty on
Windows).
Perhaps this is useful even though you do not like this phrase.

The Acer website has a 250 megabite Realtek driver for windows.  I have
it downloaded but have not done anything with it.  I am  not sure if
that will help.

When I query my snd card it says Intel but I know it is Realtek.  The
hdmi is intel

bhikkhusubhuti@Subhuntu:~$ lspci -v | grep -A7 -i "audio"
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor
x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series High Definition Audio Controller (rev 21)
        Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor
x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series High Definition Audio Controller
        Memory at 91410000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
        Capabilities: <access denied>
        Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
        Kernel modules: snd_hda_intel

00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor
x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series PCI Express Port #1 (rev 21) (prog-if 00
[Normal decode])

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to alsa-driver in Ubuntu.

  External Microphone  of headset not working when plugged in

Status in alsa-driver package in Ubuntu:

  bhikkhusubhuti@Subhuntu:~$ lsb_release -rd
  Release:      16.10

  bhikkhusubhuti@Subhuntu:~$ apt-cache policy alsa-base
  alsa-base:
    Installed: 1.0.25+dfsg-0ubuntu5
    Candidate: 1.0.25+dfsg-0ubuntu5
    Version table:
   *** 1.0.25+dfsg-0ubuntu5 500
          500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu yakkety/main amd64 Packages
          500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu yakkety/main i386 Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

  What I EXPECT:
  I plug in a working  headset.
  The internal mic should be muted and speakers muted.
  The headset and  mic should work .

  WHAT HAPPENS:
  The headphones work but the microphone does not work.
  The internal microphone (which gives me static)... still works even though it
should be muted.
  (another problem?  I have static in my internal microphone and therefore try
to fix this with an external plug in mic)

  Perhaps there is a quick fix for hdajackretask advanced mode.  I tried
setting pins 18 and 19 like the youtube video but nothing worked.  I can mute
the internal mic through this program though.
  Pulse Audio has been modified to not do autostart and I start it manually (to
make hdajackretask allow changes.
  Yes I start it and the bug still exists.. (it existed before I modified it to
not repeatedly autoload).

  Note:  Without pulseaudio, I have no sound devices listed (this is new
  to me)  maybe a gnome thing which I am new to from lubuntu and mate
  previously.

  I tried irc #ubuntu and installed pulse volume control.. nope
  I tried ask ubuntu.
  lanchpad.net had outdated stuff that I am not clear on.

  My computer is Acer c1yf.
  Previously I opted for a shared bug report, but noticed it is different and
something could be fixed through alsamixer.  I was not able to get it to work
nor understood what he did anyway.  I played with Gnome alsa mixer,
hdaJackretast (as youtube video says) and even the conf file but could not get
anything to work.

  I am on the mainline build 4.9 and latest 1.15 BIOS for acer 131t r3
  downlaoded a few days ago (which caused me boot problems to fix).  I
  am up to speed to qualify for investigation so I wish some help.

  Package: alsa-base 1.0.25+dfsg-0ubuntu5
  ApportVersion: 2.20.3-0ubuntu8
  Architecture: amd64
  AudioDevicesInUse:
   USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
   /dev/snd/controlC0:  bhikkhusubhuti   6668 F.... pulseaudio
  CurrentDesktop: GNOME
  Date: Thu Dec 15 20:09:07 2016
  EcryptfsInUse: Yes
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu-GNOME 16.10 "Yakkety Yak" - Release amd64
(20161012.1)
  PackageArchitecture: all
  SourcePackage: alsa-driver
  dmi.bios.date: 07/04/2016
  dmi.bios.vendor: Insyde Corp.
  dmi.bios.version: V1.15
  dmi.board.asset.tag: No Asset Tag
  dmi.board.name: Aspire R3-131T
  dmi.board.vendor: Acer
  dmi.board.version: V1.15
  dmi.chassis.asset.tag: No Asset Tag
  dmi.chassis.type: 10
  dmi.chassis.vendor: Acer
  dmi.chassis.version: V1.15
  dmi.modalias:
dmi:bvnInsydeCorp.:bvrV1.15:bd07/04/2016:svnAcer:pnAspireR3-131T:pvrV1.15:rvnAcer:rnAspireR3-131T:rvrV1.15:cvnAcer:ct10:cvrV1.15:
  dmi.product.name: Aspire R3-131T
  dmi.product.version: V1.15
  dmi.sys.vendor: Acer
  mtime.conffile..etc.modprobe.d.alsa-base.conf: 2016-12-14T15:49:54.217020