There's no way to "push to the left edge" inside a VM window really (and
moving my mouse to the edge doesn't seem to open it, nor was it showing
the launcher prior to me setting it to always-shown).

Also, relying on mouse gestures is not good for accessibility.

As for app grid versus scopes, the "quick" design I drew up for
something like this from way back when and showed to Paty, basically had
two BFBs on the launcher. One for the app grid, and a separate one for
"search" (scopes).

  App Drawer access is not obvious

Status in Ubuntu UX:
  Confirmed
Status in unity8 package in Ubuntu:

  The app drawer has landed in Unity8, but it's not obvious that it
  exists as the BFB doesn't open it, and seemingly no positioning of the
  mouse pointer indicates it is there. The only way I can open it is to
  use Super+A key combo from a physical keyboard.