I forgot to mention that I ran "7. Running "dbus-send --system --print-
reply --dest=org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit
/org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/Manager
org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Manager.Stop" from the terminal results in
the error: "Error org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Manager.NotPrivileged: Not
Authorized"" after I noticed that clicking on restart or shutdown didn't
work.

Logout and switching users still seems to work as expected so it seems
that I have lot all permissions to influence the machine outside of my
local user account?

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to consolekit in Ubuntu.

  Desktop console-kit permissions (e.g shutdown, network, users) broken
  for all accounts after upgrade to 14.10

Status in “consolekit” package in Ubuntu:

  1. System worked without any problems under 14.04
  2. Upgrade to 14.10
  3. Upgrade went without any problems
  4. Notice that standby has disappeared from the "gears" menu
  5. notice that I cannot disconnect or change the network connection (exact
error is: "(32) Not authorized to control networking.")
  6. I can't see, change or unlock setting under Settings > User accounts
  7. Running "dbus-send --system --print-reply
--dest=org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit /org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/Manager
org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Manager.Stop" from the terminal results in the
error: "Error org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Manager.NotPrivileged: Not Authorized"
  8. Running "sudo pam-auth-update --force" doesn't solve any errors
  9. Creating a new user account (sudo adduser) and switching to the account
results in the same permission problems.

  Sudo works as expected so I can help to further debug this problem and
  provide relevant information. Unfortunately I have very limited
  experience with ConsoleKit and PAM so I hope I have reported this to
  the right package.

  If someone could point me in the right direction (wiki, man page,
  tutorial) I would be more than happy to see if I can see what went
  wrong and if I can debug this myself.

  Package: consolekit 0.4.6-5
  ApportVersion: 2.14.7-0ubuntu2
  Architecture: amd64