I guess there must be some hardcoded timeout in NM.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to network-manager in Ubuntu.

  wifi association times out while typing password

Status in network-manager package in Ubuntu:

  Visiting inlaws for the holidays.

  The wifi password is a long numeric string, which takes a long time to
  type.

  I typed it several times and failed to connect.  I verified it and
  tried again and again.  Finally typed it into text file, copied and
  pasted, it connected.

  I suspect the connection was timing out or something while I typed the
  stupid long numeric password.

  What I expected to happen:

  type password, click connect, get connection, or some useful error.
  user happy.

  What actually happened:

  type password, click connect, dialog disappears and nothing else
  happens. user confused and unhappy.

  It shouldn't silently fail because I'm taking a long time to type.

  thanks, love you!  <3

  $ lsb_release -rd
  Release:      16.04
  $ apt-cache policy network-manager
  network-manager:
    Installed: 1.2.2-0ubuntu0.16.04.3
    Candidate: 1.2.2-0ubuntu0.16.04.3
    Version table:
   *** 1.2.2-0ubuntu0.16.04.3 500
          500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-updates/main amd64
Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
       1.1.93-0ubuntu4 500
          500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial/main amd64 Packages

  Package: network-manager 1.2.2-0ubuntu0.16.04.3
  ApportVersion: 2.20.1-0ubuntu2.1
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: Unity
  Date: Sat Dec 17 21:24:22 2016
  IfupdownConfig:
   # interfaces(5) file used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8)
   auto lo
   iface lo inet loopback
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS "Xenial Xerus" - Release amd64
(20160719)
  IpRoute:
   default via 192.168.0.1 dev wlp4s0  proto static  metric 600
   169.254.0.0/16 dev wlp4s0  scope link  metric 1000
   192.168.0.0/24 dev wlp4s0  proto kernel  scope link  src 192.168.0.27
metric 600
  NetworkManager.state:
   [main]
   NetworkingEnabled=true
   WirelessEnabled=true
   WWANEnabled=true
  SourcePackage: network-manager
  nmcli-dev:
   DEVICE     TYPE      STATE        DBUS-PATH
CONNECTION  CON-UUID                              CON-PATH

   wlp4s0     wifi      connected    /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/Devices/0
Harry 5G    10d05741-6f9e-468e-b6fd-8f0d5a739ce2
/org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/ActiveConnection/4
   enp0s31f6  ethernet  unavailable  /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/Devices/1

   lo         loopback  unmanaged    /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/Devices/2
  nmcli-nm:
   RUNNING  VERSION  STATE      STARTUP  CONNECTIVITY  NETWORKING  WIFI-HW
WIFI     WWAN-HW  WWAN
   running  1.2.2    connected  started  full          enabled     enabled
enabled  enabled  enabled