I'm failing to reproduce this unfortunately. I'm also failing to create
a libertine container. It was failing due to bug 1653973, so I installed
silo 2341, but now it fails with:

Failed to download http://images.linuxcontainers.org//meta/1.0/index-user
LxcContainer.py:254: ERROR: create_libertine_container(): Failed to create
container
libertine-container-manager:94: ERROR: create():    Failed to create container

This is odd, as networking is fine, and I can wget that URL
successfully.

I've left my AMD laptop running with unity8 for hours yesterday, and no crash.

Can you paste more of that unity8.log please? From the output, it
indicates that the physical display state changed somehow, or at least
Mir thinks it did. Disabling screen blanking was a good idea, but are
you sure it worked? How did you try it?

Also, what GPU have you got?

  Unity8 crashes with SIGSEGV in Screen::makeCurrent
  (./src/platforms/mirserver/screen.cpp:406)

Status in qtmir package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in unity8 package in Ubuntu:

  The Ubuntu Error Tracker has been receiving reports about a problem
  regarding unity8.  This problem was most recently seen with version
  8.11+15.04.20151130.1-0ubuntu1, the problem page at
  https://errors.ubuntu.com/problem/6cee045a96ab5c9a03847aeb290f4860eea1034d
  contains more details.