I've tried to reproduce this but couldn't make it happen yet. Can you
please attach unity8.log when it happens? Thanks.

  Unity8 is not in desktop mode inside the snap session

Status in Canonical System Image:
  Triaged
Status in unity8 package in Ubuntu:

  On occasion when I enter the user session running unity8-session, the
  shell comes up in staged mode and the desktop mode toggle is disabled.
  Enabling it does not dynamically change the state. Logging out and in
  again seems to then start in desktop mode.