   Ordering of mdns4_minimal and resolve in /etc/nsswitch.conf causes mDNS
lookups to fail -- breaks network printing

  nsswitch.conf configuration doesn't work with mdns hosts

Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:

  On a fresh Ubuntu 16.10 (yakkety) install, resolution of mDNS hosts
  doesn't work anymore (it used to in xenial)

  I can resolve names with avahi-resolve but ssh,ping,etc. fail to
  resolve.

  After some digging I found out that what's causing it is the "resolve"
  option in /etc/nsswitch.conf:

  hosts:          files resolve [!UNAVAIL=return] mdns4_minimal
  [NOTFOUND=return] dns

  Changing it to

  hosts:          files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns

  (as it was on xenial) makes mDNS work again.

  Package: libnss-resolve 231-9ubuntu2
  ApportVersion: 2.20.3-0ubuntu8
  Architecture: amd64