It turned out that the cause of this was a corrupt QML cache, and
running

rm -r /home/phablet/.cache/QML/Apps/dialer-app/

fixed the problem. So, seems like there are two underlying bugs here:

- the QML cache was corrupted
- a corrupt QML cache resulted in a crash (rather than eg detecting corruption
and clearing the cache)

I don't know if either of these are specific to dialer-app or are
system-wide problems that happened to be triggered on dialer-app.
Unfortunately I didn't keep a copy of the corrupt cache for debugging :(

PS Thanks to Pat McGowan on the Ubuntu Phone mailing list for suggesting
it might be a corrupt cache!

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to dialer-app in Ubuntu.

  Dialer app does not start

Status in dialer-app package in Ubuntu:

  Today, I noticed the dialer app will not start. Visually, a title bar
  appears labelled "Phone", with the rest of the screen white (no
  exits. I don't know when this started, as I don't often make calls.

  According to the updates settings page, I updated to OTA-14 today,
  however I am suspicous of this information, as I was unaware of any
  system update today, and I thought I had upgraded to OTA-14 a couple
  of weeks ago.

  I am able to recieve calls, however after accepting the call the
  dialer app appears and disappears as described above, and I am left
  with the green bar at the top indicating I'm on a call and nothing
  else. I can hear the other person and they can hear me as normal.
  Obviously I can't make any calls.

  Package: dialer-app 0.1+15.04.20160825.2-0ubuntu1
  Uname: Linux 3.4.67 armv7l
  ApportVersion: 2.17.2-0ubuntu1.3touch1
  Architecture: armhf
  CurrentDesktop: Unity