The Bluetooth device works as an audio output device just fine in the
live session. Perhaps this is broken by some update? I tried downgrading
all PulseAudio-related packages to the original release versions, but no
luck.

Re comment #167: The fix does not work for me (Ubuntu GNOME 16.10).

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to bluez in Ubuntu.

  [Bluetooth + 14.04] Bluetooth headsets are not working after last
  couple of updates

Status in Blueman:
  New
Status in blueman package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in bluez package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in gnome-bluetooth package in Ubuntu:

  Hi,

  I found a bug in Ubuntu 14.04 !

  I tried to pair a bluetooth stereo headset (A2DP compatible). The
  pairing process goes well, but after that I can't select it on the
  audio preferences.

  When I select it, it only shows the last selected item options and don't do
anything. (he should switch to the headset output).
  I must mention that it worked very well on Ubuntu 12.04.

  This bug can be in the bluetooth stack or in unity-control-center or
  maybe pulseaudio. I actually have no idea.