Public bug reported:

Attempting to install either python-pip or python3-pip does a request
for a media change, and not having that medium, it cannot be done.

This occurs for me on Xubuntu amd-64, but NOT on i386.

It occurs to me this may belong to the python and python3 packages, but
since I cannot point at both of them, I decided to point at the common
denominator.

Here's a script:

root@mush-64:/mnt/t01/root# apt-get --quiet --assume-yes install python3-pip
Reading package lists...
Building dependency tree...
Reading state information...
The following additional packages will be installed:
  build-essential dpkg-dev fakeroot g++ g++-5 libalgorithm-diff-perl
libalgorithm-diff-xs-perl
  libalgorithm-merge-perl libexpat1-dev libfakeroot libpython3-dev
libpython3.5-dev libstdc++-5-dev
  python-pip-whl python3-dev python3-setuptools python3-wheel python3.5-dev
Suggested packages:
  debian-keyring g++-multilib g++-5-multilib gcc-5-doc libstdc++6-5-dbg
libstdc++-5-doc
  python-setuptools-doc
  build-essential dpkg-dev fakeroot g++ g++-5 libalgorithm-diff-perl
libalgorithm-diff-xs-perl
  libalgorithm-merge-perl libexpat1-dev libfakeroot libpython3-dev
libpython3.5-dev libstdc++-5-dev
  python-pip-whl python3-dev python3-pip python3-setuptools python3-wheel
python3.5-dev
0 upgraded, 19 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/49.7 MB of archives.
After this operation, 98.8 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Media change: please insert the disc labeled
 'Xubuntu 16.04.1 LTS _Xenial Xerus_ - Release amd64 (20160719)'
in the drive '/cdrom/' and press [Enter]

Package: apt 1.2.18
ApportVersion: 2.20.1-0ubuntu2.5
Architecture: amd64