As said, commercial networks do not support this feature around here.
Voice mail message notification comes as regular sms message here. But
you can trust that simulation works correctly. It has been used with
several enough phones. Message going straight to the sim is a valid
case.

And as said, it looks like that 255 is coming from using the card in
different phone that updates the SIM differently.  If that is wanted to
be fixed I think easiest and quickest solution is stop reading file from
the SIM. If we wish, we could enhance that solution by reading the value
from messages. Third option is not to read the value before new voice
mail message.

However, in my opinion this is a trivial case. After user checks the
voice mails from network network should send new message that should
update the count correctly. Problem with card that has been moved from
one phone to another should therefore be shortlived.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to indicator-messages in

  VoiceMail notification pretends there are 255 messages. It is not true
  there are only 2

Status in “indicator-messages” package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in “ofono” package in Ubuntu:

  Mako build #175

  The VoiceMail notification indicates there are 255 voice messages (cf
  screenshot)  on voice mail while there were only 2 new messages.

  Package: indicator-messages 13.10.1+14.10.20140725-0ubuntu1
  Uname: Linux 3.4.0-5-mako armv7l
  ApportVersion: 2.14.5-0ubuntu3
  Architecture: armhf
  Date: Wed Aug  6 11:57:43 2014
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu Utopic Unicorn (development branch) - armhf
(20140806-020204)
  SourcePackage: indicator-messages