Public bug reported:

i ceased to get shutdowns and restarts on mint cinnamon serena 18.1, so i
changed from the preferred nvidia driver to the nouveau open source driver.
since i did that my os is often hanging indefinitely. this seems to be
prevalent mostly with restarts, but i also get it intermittently with shutdowns.
i run an old intel board (dell xps 410-64 bit from 2007).
i went through all the 4.4 series kernels listed in the terminal. i finally
tried the newest kernel:4.9.0-040900-generic  , but the bug is still there.

can anyone give me instructions as to how to be rid of "Unintended-upgrade in
progress during shutdown, sleeping for 5s" so my restarts and shutdowns will
not hang?
if you need something else, please give a terminal command that will work.

cinnamon version: 3.2.7

file:///home/sncalaska/Pictures/sys%20info.jpg - i made this an
attachment

** Affects: unattended-upgrades (Ubuntu)

** Attachment added: "my system"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1663699/+attachment/4816674/+files/sys%20info.jpg

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to unattended-upgrades in

  Unintended-upgrade in progress during shutdown

Status in unattended-upgrades package in Ubuntu: