I am also having this problem. I'm trying to profile libcurl in Ubuntu
16.04 LTS and I get this:

export LD_PROFILE_OUTPUT=`pwd`
export LD_PROFILE=libcurl.so.4
src/.libs/lt-curl google.com > /dev/null
sprof lib/.libs/libcurl.so.4 libcurl.so.4.profile -p >log

_dl_open: Assertion `_dl_debug_initialize (0, args.nsid)->r_state ==
RT_CONSISTENT' failed!

I compiled with -fno-omit-frame-pointer -g -pg in CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to eglibc in Ubuntu.

  sprof fails to work with shared objects

Status in eglibc package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in eglibc package in Debian:
  New
Status in eglibc package in Fedora:
  Unknown

Bug description:
  Binary package hint: libc-dev-bin

  When I try to profile a compiled shared object, sprof always fails
  with: "Inconsistency detected by ld.so: dl-open.c: 672: _dl_open:
  Assertion `_dl_debug_initialize (0, args.nsid)->r_state ==
  RT_CONSISTENT' failed!"

  I have the environment variables LD_PROFILE and LD_PROFILE_OUTPUT set
  up as you would expect and a file.so.profile file is created along
  with gmon.out.

  Both the main program and .SO are compiled and linked with -pg