There is a bug (which is fixed in newer versions) in lxc in that it does
not ignore cgroups which are not used by the container.  So in your
particular case, if you're not using the co-mounted controllers, then
indeed fixing the lxc bug should work for you as well.

Nevertheless some people will want to run containers using those
controllers, so cgroup-lite (and cgroupfs-mount) will need to be fixed.
But that's not your problem :)  I understand if you want to leave it at
this - I'll just need to improve my awk skills :)  I just wanted to ask
to avoid duplication of effort.

Thanks for your help so far.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to cgroup-lite in Ubuntu.

  fails to mount cgroupfs inside containers running on 16.04

Status in cgroup-lite package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in cgroup-lite source package in Precise:
  New
Status in cgroup-lite source package in Trusty:
  New
Status in cgroup-lite source package in Xenial:
  New
Status in cgroup-lite source package in Yakkety:

  I need to run nested Ubuntu 12.04 and 14.04 containers on 16.04 hosts,
  and have noticed that the cgroups-mount script for mounting the
  cgroups inside the containers has stopped working. This is because
  systemd now comounts multiple controllers on a single hierarchy, which
  prevents mounting them individually inside the container.

  ===========  SRU Justification ================
  Impact: nested containers fail to start
  Reproduce:  create a root owned container;  install lxc and cgroup-lite;
create a container, and try to start it.  Starting will fail if cgroup-lite is
running in the first level container without this patch.
  Regression potential:  should be low, it's possible that the regexp is simply
wrong for some cases.